Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Coast to North


All my life I have lived on the West Coast of Canada. Not just the west coast, but the southern west coast. Squamish, Vancouver, and in recent years on Vancouver Island in Duncan, Crofton and Ladysmith... ahh Ladysmith, how I love you!

Well, circumstances change, the forest industry dissolves in front of my eyes and here we are three years after I swore I would never move again, moving. Moving from this town that I have grown to love more than anywhere else I have lived. Moving from the place where my children have grown into the little people that they are. Moving from the place where my one sister moved to be near me and the other sister moved nearby on Saltspring Island.

To say that I didn't want to move would be an understatement. Neither hubby or I wanted to move... we tried to think of all sorts of different options that may potentially keep us here... but they were all temporary and financially - less. And through all those brainstorming sessions there was this whisper from the cold and distant north "come to us, we will have you", "come up north and find a job that will last as long as you want it too", "come up north and make money, lots of money". I must honestly say that the last one was the most tempting for me, but the job security was that one that did it for hubby.

Poor hubby has been having the doom of not just his workplace but also the entire industry, hanging over his head, weighing on him for a few years now, but everytime he asked about moving I would say "NO!" The guy listened to me, as long as he could, but eventually even I couldn't say "no" anymore...

So the decision was made and the job (the very good job) was found and this coastal girl is soon going to be northern girl. A good friend of mine suggested starting a blog about the move and the life up north as a way of letting all the lovely people of Ladysmith and all the other folks too, keep track of me and my family...

So people, the adventure is beginning and as nervous and uncertain as I was about it before, I am actually kind of excited about it now. There are part of it that still make me nervous; but there are more parts that make me excited and I hope that I will be able to experience and love the North as much as people assure me that I will!

No comments: